| 0 comments ]

Adverbs of Time – Trang tu chi thoi gian dung de bo nghia cho dong tu:
Today
Tomorrow
Yesterday
Now
The day after tomorrow
The day before yesterday
Three days ago
This week
This month
This year
This season
This morning
This evening
This afternoon
Yesterday morning
Yesterday evening
Tomorrow evening
Tomorrow afternoon
Tomorrow night
Tonight
Last week
Two weeks ago
Next week
Two weeks later (2 thang sau)
Last month
Two months ago
Next month
Two months later
Three months later
Once in a while (mot lan trong mot thgian)
Every week (moi tuan)
Every other week (moi 02 tuan)
Every three weeks
At 3 o’clock
At 03:10 AM
At 05:00 AM
At 04:30 PM
At 15 minutes past three
At half past 3 (3 gio ruoi)
At 13:00 hours
At 21:00 hours
At ten minutes to three
At 15 minutes to 4 (3 gio kem 15)
At 10 minutes to 4
At a quarter to 4 (3 gio kem 15)
At midnight
At noon
At meal-time
On  Monday morning
On Thursday afternoon
On Friday evening
On Saturday night
On Monday
On Tuesday
On Wednesday
On Thursday
On Friday
On Saturday
On Sunday
On my birthday
On a weekday
On a weekend
On Christmas Day
On Women’s Day
On Mother’s Day
On Father’s Day
On Valentine’s Day
On Tet Holidays
On a rainy day
On a sunny day
On that day
On July 5th, 2007
On Sundays
In the morning
In the afternoon
In the evening
In my free time
In January
In February
In March
In April
In May
In June
In August
In September
In October
In November
In December
In Spring
In Autumn/Fall
In Winter
In the rainy season
In the sunny season
In childhood
In 1995
In 2007
In the past
In the future
In the present

Pattern 1 (Simple Present)
When do you get up?
_ I get up at 6 AM
When does he go to work?
_ He goes to work in the afternoon.
Pattern 2 (Simple Past)
When did you get up this morning?
_ I got up at 8 AM
When did he go to work last month?
_ He went to work on the afternoon.
Others:
recent year: những năm gần đây.
presently: hiện hành
currently: hiện tại
in a moment (=a very short time)
   - I'll be with you in a moment.
at the moment (=now)
   - Jane's in Paris at the moment.
recently (=not long ago)
   - We met recently.
Refer to Time words I & II.


List of common single-word time adverbs:
+ points of time (definite):
now
then
today
tomorrow
tonight
yesterday

+ frequency (definite):
annually
daily
fortnightly
hourly
monthly
nightly
quarterly
weekly
yearly

+ frequency (indefinite):
always
constantly
ever
frequently
generally
infrequently
never
normally
occasionally
often
rarely
regularly
seldom
sometimes
regularly
usually

+ relationships in time (indefinite):
already
before
early
earlier
eventually
finally
first
formerly
just
last
late
later
lately
next
previously
recently
since
soon
still
yet

One thing before another
_ Before I went to work I fed the cat
_ I had written to her prior to meeting the committee.
_ It was nice to be in Venice. Previously I'd only been to Rome.
_ I was in the office from 2.30. I was out earlier on.
_ The city is now called Thatcherville. Formerly it was Grabtown.

Things happening at the same time
_ While I waited, I read the newspaper.
_ As I was driving to work, I saw an accident.
_ I saw her just as she was turning the corner.
_ During the war, I lived in Dublin.
_ Throughout the war, food was rationed. (v- bị hạn chế)
_ She was entering at the very time

One thing after another
_ After I'd locked up, I went to bed.
_ We went to the castle. Then we caught a bus to the beach.
_ First we went to the theatre. After that, we had a meal.
_ He fell ill and was admitted (v- nhận vào, cho vào) to hispital. He died soon afterwards.
_ Following my visit to Peking, I bought lots of books about China.

Time when
_ When I'm rich and famous, I'll buy a yacht.
_ As soon as we're packed we can leave. (immediately after)
_ Once we've finished we can go and have a coffee.
_ The moment/the minute I saw his face I knew I'd met him before.
_ I meet Polly at Ken's wedding. On that occasion she was with a different man.

Connecting two periods or events
_ The meal will take about an hour. In the meantime, relax and have a drink.
_ The new whiteboards are arriving soon. Till then, we'll have to use the old ones.
_ I last met him in 1985. Since then I haven't set eyes on him.
_ By the time I retire, I will have worked here 26 years.

0 comments

Post a Comment

About