| 0 comments ]

1. How are you today?
I am very well, thanks.
I am fine, thanks
I don't feel very well. I must go home and rest. (I'll probably be OK tomorrow)
I feel ill. Can you get a doctor please. (Perhaps a serious problem)
That fish was bad. I think I'm going to be sick. (I want to vomit) (nôn mữa)

2. Everyday problems:
Have you got an aspirin? I've got a headache.
I've got toothache. I need to go to the dentist.
I'm going to bed with a hot drink. I've got a cold.










   She's sneezing.
   She's coughing.
   She's got a sore throat.
   She's blowing her nose.
   She's got a temperature.

What are your symptoms?

   rash (n) phát ban, da nổi mụn
   bruise (n) vết thêm tím
   lump (n) u, chổ sưng u lên
   spot (n) dấu, vết đốm
   a black eye (n) mắt thâm

+ I've got a cold (the symptoms: a sore throat (đau họng), sneezing (hắt hơi), a cough (ho))/ a cought/ a sore throat/ a temperature/ a stomach ache/ chest pains/ earache/ a pain in my side/ a rash on my chest/ spots/ a bruise on my leg/ a back eye/ a lump on my arm/ indigestion (chứng khó tiêu) / diarrhoea (ỉa chảy) / paintful joints (khới nối) / blisters (phồng da) / sunburn.
+ I've got flu (more serious that a cold) (symptoms for a cold + aching muscles and a temperature, e.g 39,5.
+ I've got hay fever (n-cơn sốt). (the symptoms; sneezing, runny nose, sore eyes (đau mắt); cause of illness: allergic reaction to S.T).
+ I've got diarhoea (n- bệnh tiêu chảy). (symptoms: I keep going to the toilet)
+ I feel sick (symptoms: I want to vomit)/ dizzy (adj- chóng mặt)/ breathless (adj- khó thở)/ shivery (adj- cảm giác run lạnh)/ faint (adj- uể oải)/ particularly bad at night.
+ I've got a hangover. (symptoms; headche, feeling sick)
+ I am depressed / constipated / tired all the time.
+ I've lost my appetite/ voice.
+ I can't sleep, my nose itches and my leg hurts.

_ flu: headache, aching muscles, fever, cough, sneezing.
_ pneunmonia (viêm phổi): dry cough, high fever, chest pain, rapid breathing.
_ rheumatism (bệnh thấp khớp): swollen (sưng phồng), painful joints, stiffness, limited movement.
_ chickenpox (sởi, đậu mùa): rash starting on body, slightly raised temperature.
_ mumps (bệnh quai bị): swollen glands in front of ear, earache or pain on eating.
_ an ulcer (ung nhọt): burning pain in abdomen (n- bụng), pain or nausea (n- buồn nôn) after eating.











For these illness, you can either buy something from the chemist, or go to your doctor, who may give you a prescription that you get from the chemist.

Problem people have for many years/ all their lives:
I get hay-fever (n- sốt dị ứng phấn hoa) every summer, from flowers and grass. I sneeze all day. (hắt hơi)
My little brother has asthma (hen suyễn); sometimes he can't breathe.
fever (n) cơn sốt.

What medical problems might you have if ...
_ you wear shoes that rub? (blisters - bỗng giọp da)
_ You eat too fast? (indigestion - khó tiêu)
_ You smoke a lot? (lung cancer)
_ You play football? (bruises - vết thâm tím)
_ You go ski-ing? (a broken leg)
_ You stay too long in the sun? (sunburn)
_ You eat food you're allergic to? (a rash)
_ You run unusually fast for a bus? (breathlessness)
_ You eat food that is bad? (sickness)
_ A mosquito bites you? (an itch - ngứa)
_ You get wet on a cold day? (a cold)
_ You think you're ill (adj- đau, ốm) all the time? (hypochondria)

Illness in hot/tropical countries:
In some countries, mosquitoes (muoi) can give people malaria. (sốt rét)
The drinking water was bad, and many children had cholera. (dịch tả)

3. Aches and pains (hurt)
Nouns: 
I've got toothache, a stomachache, backache, earache, headache.
I woke up in the night with a terrible pain in my chest.
Verbs: 
She hurt her foot when she jumped off the bus and fell over.
She hurt herself when she jumped off the bus and fell over.
I hurt myself when I fell off that chair.
I hit my leg against the table and it really hurts. (gives me a terrible pain)
I hit my hand on the desk and it really hurts.
Adjectives:
I had an injection yesterday and it was very painful (adj- đau đớn).

4. Serious illnesses:
My father had a heart attack. He is in hospital.
Cancer kills many people who smoke ever year.
Doctors believe smoking is the major cause of lung cancer. (ung thư phổi)
Hepatitis is a liver disease.
He had a heart attack and died almost immediately.
Asthma (chest illness causing breathing problems) has become more common.

5. How to keep fit and well:
Have a good diet: eat lots of fruit and vegetables.
Get some exercise: swimming, jogging, cycling are good for you.
Don't have too much stress: relax after work, and don't panic about work! (đừng lo lắng về cv).
wellness (n) cham soc suc khoe
your family's wellness.

cancer (n)
toothache (n)
cholera (n) dịch tả
hay-fever (n)
a headache (n)
a heart attack (n)
a cold (n)
asthma (n) hen suyễn
malaria (n) sốt rét

What do you think is a good diet?
What sort of exercise do you like?
Do you have a lot of stress in your life?
Have you ever been in hospital?
What illnesses are connected with ...
a mosquito bite?
bad drinking water?
pollution, traffic fumes?
grass, flowers, etc ...?
smoking?

6. Common injuries and Hopital treatment
An injury is damage to part of your body, usually caused by an accident in the home, on the roads, or during a game. Here are some common injuries:














What's the problem? - How did it happen? - Result - Solution:
1. I cut my finger using a knife. it's bleeding (chảy máu) a bit. I need a plaster.
2. I cut my let quite badly. I fell over. it's bleeding quite a lot. I need a bandage (n,v- băng vết thương).
3. I twisted (v- bị trật) my ankle because of running for a bus, and now I can't walk on it easily. I need  to take a rest.
4. I broke my arm because I fell off my bike. I can't use it. I need a sling and a plaster.
5. I've got concussion (n- chấn động) because of playing football. I'm confused (don't know where I am). I need to take a rest.
6. I burnt (v- bị bỏng) my hand because taking something out of a hot oven. it's very painful. I need a special cream.
7. I've got a bruise (n,v- thâm, vết thâm tím) on my arm because I hit it on the side of my desk. It's swollen (adj- sưng phồng) and blue/black in colour. I need a ice pack.

Hospital treatment:
John fell off a chair, hit his head on the floor, and knocked himself unconscious (bất tỉnh).
His wife called an ambulance but John was still unconscious (adj- bất tỉnh) when it arrived. He was rushed to hospital (= take very quickly) where they kept him for two days for blood tests.

What do doctors do?
They take your temperature, listen to your chest, look in your ears, examine you, take your blood presure, ask you some questions and weigh and measure you before sending you to the hospital for further tests.

What's the diagnosis?
_ You've got flu
_ You've broken your wrist (cổ tay) and sprained (v- bông gân)/ dislocated (v-  trật khớp) your ankle.
_ You're pregnant (adj- có thai) / a hypochondriac.
_ He died of lung cancer/ a heart attack / a brain haemorrhage (xuất huyết não)/ AIDS.

What does the doctor prescribe (v- kê đơn, cho thuốc)?
_ Take one three times a day after meals.
_ Take a teaspoonful last thing at night.
_ Rub (v- xoa, xoa bóp) a little on before going to bed each night.
_ We'll get the nurse to put a bandage (n- băng vết thương) on.
_ You'll need to have some injections before you go.
_ I'll ask the surgeon when he can fit you in for an operation.
_ You'll have to have your leg put in plaster (bột thạch cao).
_ I think you should have total bed rest for a week.

What might the doctor ask you?
(what would you say if the doctor asked you the following question?)
_ Do you have health insurance?
_ Have you ever had any operation?
_ Are you talking any medication?
_ Are you allergic (adj- di ứng) to anything?

I jumped for the ball and collided (v- va nhau, đụng nhau) with another player (=we ran into/ hit each other). We both had cuts on our head, but I had to go to hospital for eight stitches (n- mũi khâu).

He shot the man in the chest.
He stabbed (v- đâm) the boy in the back.
He got into a fight and got beaten up. He had a black eye and two broken ribs (n- xương sườn).

Paul somehow fell from the tree where he was picking apples and he knocked himself unconscious. His wife immediately rang for an ambulance and it soon arrived and rushed him to hospital. He was suffering from concussion (n- chấn động) and had to have some stitches for a large cut on side of his head, but fortunately it was nothing more serious than that.

Everyday minor injuries:
_ Shron fell down and cut her knee this morning.
_ I bumped (v- đâm vào)/banged (v- đập mạnh) my head against the cupboard door and got a bruise (n- vết thâm).
_ She twisted her ankle coming down the stairs.

Headlines
_ Rebies out of control in many parts of Asia. (disease can be caused by bite from a dog)
_ Yellow fever - figures drop. (tropical disease; skin goes yellow)
_ New malaria - drug tested. (usually caught because of mosquito bites)
_ Minister says fight against leprosy (n- bệnh phong) goes on. (terrible skin disease; leaves the skin deformed)
_ Cholera and typhoid injections - not needed says Tourism Miniter. (diseases causing sickness, diarrhoea etc; caused often by infected food and water).

0 comments

Post a Comment

About