| 1 comments ]

1. Friendship
_ I think we should all be more careful in the use of the word 'friend'. It does not and should not, be applied to casual acquaintance (người quen tình cờ).
_ There are colleeagus, allies (bạn đồng minh) and partners - all of them pretending (v- giả vờ) to be friends because it suits their purpose.
_ True friends want nothing from you and don't expect any special favours.
_ We should ask nothing from them except loyalty, despite (prep- bất chấp) our faults. They sould speak well behind our backs. Such friends are hard to find ...

Here are some qualities of friendship and their opposites:









Other key word:
_ Russia and America were allies (countries which fight on the same side) in the Second World War.
_ We were business partners (people who own the same business) but now we're bitter rivals (đối thủ ác liệt) (people in competition with each other in an aggressive (adj- công kích, gây hấn) and negative way)

Example of problematic friendships: Note the prepositions
_ Terry has been disloyal to me on a number of occasions.
_ Jo's always very critical (adj- chỉ trích, phê phán)  of her friends. I don't like that.
_ OK, I was dishonest with you. I'm sorry, but I didn't want to hurt you.

Note these collocation of some of words in the table:
_ Jim has always been scrupulously honest (tuyệt đối trung thực) in his dealings with us.
_ I would never expect complete and unswerving (adj- kiên định) loyalty from a friend.
_ Monica has always been my staunchest ally at work. I can always rely on her to support me.
_ I was amazed that someone who called herself a friend could be so deeply critical.

2. Breakdowns: expressions and collocations
_ Relationships can break down because of genuine misunderstandings.
_ A rift (n- rạn nứt, bất hòa) (serious disagreement that divide people) can develop/emerge between two people or groups.
_ There's been a lot of discord (mối bất hòa) (disagreement and discontent) in the office lately.
_ My father and I don't see eye to eye (have different opinions) on most things.
_ His love affair (n- chuyện) with Anna has turned sour (become bad). I think they'll split up (separate).
_ Our marriage has had its ups and downs (had good and bad moments (n- khoảng thời gian)), but basically we're OK.

a bumpy relationship (up and down like car on a road with bumps)
a broken home (family split up by divorce)
a family feud (n- mối hận thù) (causing bad feeling for many years)

_ You need stauch allies at work who won't let you down.
_ His scrupulous honesty is a quality I greatly admire.
_ I don't know why she was so deeply critical of him; it seemed very unfair.
_ Her complete and unswerving loyalty to him was a mistake, He betrayed (v- phản bội; tiết lộ) her in the end.
_ Ray and Hilary were bitter rivals at work, but seemed to get on well outside of the office.
_ When all my other so-called friends drifted away, Jack always remained a true (loyal) friend to me.

Give the opposite meaning:
_ Rick and his sister shared the same opinion on a lot of things. / Rick and his sister didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things.
_ Her affection for Andrew has grown stronger lately. I expect they'll get engaged./ Her affection for Andrew has truned sour (adj- chua, vị chua) lately, I expect they'll slipt up.
_ Our relationship stayed firm because we always understood eache other. / Our relationship broke down because we always misunerstood each other.

Sadness resulting from a love affair which the other person ended
To dislike someone intensely
To take advantage of every opportunity  to speak badly of someone.
To have a bad relationship with someone.

1 comments

jade said... @ July 19, 2017 at 6:47 PM

Then after some time to themselves they will come back to the relationship feeling refreshed and able to give the intimacy and deep connection that she wants. this contact form

Post a Comment

About