| 0 comments ]

1. Happiness and unhappiness
You feel:
_ ecstatic (adj- mê ly, sung sướng): when you are madly (adv- điên cuồng, liều lĩnh) in love or are spirituallly uplifted (tâm hồn bay bổng) for some reason.
_ content(ed) (adj- bằng lòng, toại nguyện): when you are peaceful and satisfied with what you have. Notice that content is not used before a noun. You can say 'She is content' or 'She is contented' but only 'a contented person'.
_ cheerful: when life is looking quite bright and positive.
_ grateful: when someone has done you a favour (n- thiện ý, quý mến).
_ delighted: when something has happened that gives you great pleasure, when you hear news of someone's good fortune, for instance.
_ miserable: when everything seems wrong in your life.
_ discontented: when your life is not giving you satisfaction.
_ fed-up/ sick and tired: when you have had enough of something disagreeable. You could be fed up with someone's rudeness (n- sự khiếm nhã, bất lịch sự), for instance, or sick and tired of someone's behaviour.
_ depressed (adj- chán nản, phiền muộn): when you are miserable over a long period of time. Depression is considered an illness in some severe (adj- nghiem khắc) cases.
_ frustrated (adj- thất vọng): when you are unable to do something that you want to do.
_ confused / mixed up: when you cannot make sense of different conflicting (adj- xung đột, đối lập, mâu thuẫn) feelings or ideas; mixed up is more colloquial (adj- thông tục).

2. Excitement, anger and anxiety
You feel:
_ excited: when you are expecting special to happen, e.g. before a party or before a meeting with someone special.
_ inspired (adj- đầy năng lực sáng tạo): when you are stimulated to creative deeds or words. You might feel inspired after listening to some very powerful music, perhaps, or you might be inspired to action by a friend.
_ enthusiastic (adj- nhiệt tình, hăng hái): when you have very positive feelings about something, e.g. a new project.
_ thrilled (adj- hồi hộp, ly kỳ): when something extremely exciting and pleasing happens - quite a colloquial word. She was thrilled when the film star kissed her.
_ cross (adj- bực mình, cấu gắt): when you angry or bad-tempered. It is often, though not exclusively, used about small children.
_ furious (adj- giận dữ, điên tiết)/livid/ seething: when you are extremely angry.
_ anxious: when you are afraid and uncertain about the future. I am so anxious about the results of my exams that I can't sleep.
_ nervous: when you are afraid or anxious about something that is about to or may be about to happen. I always feel nervous when I have to go the dentist.
(Feeling nervous is a little bit like feeling excitied but it is a negative feeling whereas excitement is positive)
_ apprehensive (adj- sợ hãi, e sợ): when you are slightly nervous or anxious about something in the future.
_ worried: when anxious thoughts are constantly going through your head.
_ upset (adj- bối rối, lo lăng, đau khổ): when something unpleasant has happened to disturb you. It often combines feelings of both sadness and anger.










_ I didn't know who was telling the truth. I felt totally confused.
_ Some mothers are depressed for several months after the birth of a baby.
_ I think she is bad-tempered because she is frustrated. She wanted to be an actress and not a school teacher.
_ Although he seems to have everything anyone could possibly want, he is till discontented.
_ He went skiing for the first time last month, but now he is so enthusiastic about it that he can talk of little else.
_ My baby brother gets very cross by the evening if he doen't have an afternoon sleep.
_ This rainy weather has gone on for so long. I feel really fed-up with it.
_ He was terribly upset when he heard the news of his friend's accident.
_ She was thrilled when she learnt that she had won the first prize.

_ I felt anxious until we heard the results of mother's medical tests.
_ I felt slightly apprehensive before my first trip to China.
_ I was very grateful to him for lending me his car.
_ I was in a terrible rage when I heard about the unkind things the teacher had said to my best friend.
_ I was miserable for days when I broke up with my boyfriend.
_ I was so inspired by the book, 'The Story of San Michele', that I decided I would become a doctor too.
_ I was initially very enthusiastic about skating but I soon lost interest.

0 comments

Post a Comment

About