| 0 comments ]

1. There's S.T wrong with ...
If there is a problem with a machine or a thing that you use e.g. TV, light, washing machine, computer, food mixer, pen, etc .., we often use these expressions:

_ There's something wrong with the TV. (= there is a problem with it)
_ The light's not working. (= not fuctioning, there is no light)
_ The shower's not working properly. (= it is functioning but not very well)
_ The telephone is out of order. (= not in use/ not functioning)

Things that go wrong in houses and flats:






























_ The lights are not working there must be a power-cut.
_ Oh no! The bathroom's flooded. (v- tràn, ngập)
_ The kitchen door-handle's come off. (v- bong ra, tróc ra, rời ra)
_ The batteries have run out. I'll have to get some more.
_ The washing machine broke down the other day. I'll have to wash by hand.
_ Oh dear! This chair's broken. I wonder how that happened?
_ This pipe's leaking. (v- rò rĩ)
_ I'm sorry, you cup's chipped. (v- sứt, mẻ)

2. Out and about
After Paul went out, things got worse. He left home with a ten dolar in his pocket, and walked to the bus stop.

Unfortunately he was a bit late and the bus was a bit early, so he missed the bus. While he waited for the next one, he got out his walkman, but the batteries had run out.
When the bus arrived, he got on and put his hand in his pocket - no ten dolar (he had lost his money). The driver told him to get off. He didn't want to be late for school, so he started running. Moments later, he saw a dog, but not its lead- and tripped over the lead.
He got to his feet, carried on to school, then he realised he had left bag on the bus.

Some examples about problems:
_ He dropped a cup and it broke.
_ He split the cup of coffee, it ruined (v- lam hong) (=destroyed) his T-shirt because there was a large stain (n- vết bẩn) on it.
_ The batteries have run out so I can't listen to my walkman.
_ I'm afraid I left my money at home.
_ I split the drink and it made a mess on the carpet.
_ I missed the bus and had to wait ages for another.
_ I burnt myself when I lit (v- thắt sáng light) that cigarette.
_ I forgot to bring my money.

Answer these questions using often/occasionally/hardly ever/ never
How often do you:
drop thing?
spill thing? (v- làm tràn, làm đổ)
trip over things? (v- hụt chân; ngán chân lên S.T)
break things?
burn things?
lose things?
leave things behind?
forget things?
run out of things?

3. Other everyday problems:
_ I've mislaid (mislay v- để mất, để thất lạc) Bob's letter. Have you seen it anywhere?
_ She spilt (spill v-) some coffee on the carpet. I hope it doesn't stain (v- gây vết, làm có màu).
_ I overslept this morning and was half an hour late for work.
_ I've locked myself out. Can I use your phone to ring my wife?
_ The car won't start. I hope it;s nothing serious.
_ The kitchen clock;s slow/fast/stopped. What time d'you make it?

0 comments

Post a Comment

About